Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Whirlwinds & Crushes

Whew. The past few days have been an absolute whirlwind. We threw a big 'ole Southern foods gathering out here this past Saturday evening, as part of my new book. It was amazing-kids, parents, dancing (cake walk!!!), food, bourbon, and heat! Oh. My. Word. It was hot. Hot. Hot. Hot. But it was grand!

Today I'm off to visit this farm on my way north to Burnsville. My sisters, Huxley and I are going to spend some time with family, enjoying the mountain and creek views provided by the swing on my Mom's porch. Oh, yes.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and we're thinking of beginning with breakfast (and more mountain views) here, before going on a hike at either Graveyard Fields or Black Balsam. For dinner, we might hit up Bouchon for their all-you-can-eat mussels night.

In the mean time, I wanted to share this post with you from the amazing Foodie Crush. Heidi Larsen has a real gem of a publication going over there and it was an honor and a delight to share some recipes, pie-dough tips, and general conversation with her. Check it!

9 comments:

Rosanne said...

I knew you were a kindred spirit the first time I saw your blog -- tomorrow is my birthday, too, and I have hiked Black Balsam many many times with my hubby, and picked blueberries on the hills by the entrance to Shining Rock Wilderness.
Hope you have a fun and restful time.

Elaine said...

Sounds like a delightful way to spend your day!

Stacy said...

Yay! Happy birthday, friend! :) It sounds like you'll have an amazing day!

BAE said...

OMG, my birthday was Saturday, the 30th, and as a surprise part of our vacation in Asheville for a week with Daughter Dearest, my husband and she arranged for our arrival dinner Friday night at the Mt. Pisgah Inn and a room! What a spot!! We stopped there several more times during our visit for "refreshments" after hiking...LOVED Black Balsam. Graveyard Fields was a great challenge, but one which this old body survived with flying colors! Hope your birthday week (you DO celebrate for a week, don't you??) is half as great as mine was!

El Gaucho said...

Happy Birthday!!

joanna said...

Have a fabulous birthday!!

Dixie said...

Have a great day Ashley! Happy Birthday.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Have a wonderful Birthday!!

Heidi @foodiecrush said...

Ashley, I can honestly say I do t know that I've met (via virtual of course) a more humble and eloquent blogger than yourself. And I'm emulating your email manners from here on our. Thank you SO MUCH for being a part of FoodieCrush and contributing to the mag, sharing yourself and recipes. You've definitely found a fan in me! Happy birthday lovely! XO